Residential Learning Communities
During the 2018-19 academic year, Auburn University will offer four Residential Learning Communities (RLCs) for incoming freshmen. Two RLCs will be affiliated with the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering and one with the Raymond J. Harbert College of Business.
Learning together: RLCs provide students with a residentially-based small group experience that enriches their in-class instruction and provides focused out-of-class activities. RLC members will live together in Teague Hall (Upper Quad neighborhood) and are co-enrolled in a First Year Seminar and two or three additional classes. Each RLC accommodates up to 19 students.
Living together: When completing the housing application, students must indicate an interest in participating in a RLC and select the Quad as their first area preference in order to be considered for placement in a RLC. Due to space limitations, residents in Teague Hall must have a roommate who is also in one of the four RLCs. The roommate may be one of your choosing or you may elect to have a roommate assigned to you. The last day to change preferences to the 2018-19 housing application is March 1, 2018.
- RLC Cohorts have a maximum of 19 students to provide a small group experience in the context of a large university.
- All students take a first year seminar, which serves as the anchor course for the RLC experience.
- Students are co-enrolled in a first year seminar and two to three additional courses (usually Core Curriculum courses).
- RLC students have supportive classroom and living environments to help ease the transition to college life and college-level academics.
- Students network with peer educators, staff members, and faculty members.
- RLC students commit to participate in the fall and spring semesters of the first year.
How do I join a Residential Learning Community?
- Complete the Auburn University Housing Application (opens October 9, 2017)
- Apply to join a Residential Learning Community (opens February 15, 2018)
- Application is available in AU Access > Self Services > Learning Community Application.
- Complete the Camp War Eagle Application (opens March 19, 2018)
What are the Residential Learning Community themes for Fall 2018?
Students have the opportunity to join the following themed Residential Learning Communities:
- Raymond J. Harbert College of Business RLC - (1 section; 19 students)
- Samuel Ginn College of Engineer RLC - (2 sections; 19 students each)
Where do RLC students live?
Students in any of the Residential Learning Communities in Fall 2018 will live in Teague Hall, which is located in the Upper Quad.